Saturday, February 4, 2012

On Uncles & Bow-ties...



Life has been a little crazy lately, culminating in a Jo March style meltdown at work this Wednesday.

Rather than bore you with the details, let me bore you with a picture of my relatives. More specifically, my dapper uncles (well, great-uncles, and great-great uncles if precision is your thing.)

The one with the carnation in his buttonhole - my great uncle Hank. Nice chap. His older brother, William, stands stylishly on the far right with his eyes closed. My grandmother's two eldest brothers and the tormentors of her youth. =)

The other dapper fellow up front with the orange bow-tie, and the striking resemblance to James Cagney, is my great-uncle Wac. (Please pronounce it "Vatch". He is a little "wack", but he was a youngest child, so it is to be expected.) This is the uncle that fought in the Battle of the Bulge and was a Polish-English translator when the Allies freed the survivors of Buchenwald. He tells the best stories (and his wife made the best pickles...ever.)

A rather imposing lot, aren't they?

No comments: