Sunday, April 12, 2009

Oops! I did it again...

It amazes me how we can go from zero to sixty in the span of twenty minutes. Recently , I was faced with a conflict of time.A forthcoming family event exactly coincided with a "dream" ministry opportunity.

Another huge pet peeve (Who needs to write 25 Random Things about oneself when I may blog about pet peeves to my little heart's content? ;) Thanks for your patience, dear reader.) is the Christian's willingness to sacrifice body and soul for ministry, but ignore the needs of their family. Call it ministry far-sightedness, if you will.

I suppose this is God's way of helping me face my own prejudices. When push came to shove for me last week, I found myself considering - okay, justifying - hurting those precious to me so I could do what I really wanted to do. (Clearly, this was a grand opportunity to puff up self, helping others was totally secondary.)

I don't have a neat and tidy conclusion for this, just an increased awareness of self, and a rather bad case of what Holly Golightly affectionately called the "mean reds".

But that is why we celebrate Easter, isn't it? We celebrate the sacrifice that brought freedom from self and salvation from this rat race we call life.

No comments: